(Missing) Comments and Disqus


In the early hours of 10 November 2018, I got hit big time by a spam commenter trying to sell a certain product that is completely unrelated to what this blog is about.
I normally get unwanted comments but this is usually one or two every few weeks and has been quite easy to manage so far using the comments page on Blogger.

The above commenter left around 30 comments; all with the same text and link on several posts and I had to go through and select all of these, then press delete. Now I usually manage and respond to comments from my iPad Mini - while this works for some things, you can make some mistakes if you have five thumbs like me :-)
As a result, at least one genuine comment, got deleted (by mistake) whilst removing the above spam. So if you commented between 08.11.18 and 10.11.18; and you notice your comment is no longer there, please accept my apologies, this was not intentional.

The number of spam comments has been increasing and last night's commenter was the one who "broke the camel's back" so as a result, I've moved comments over to Disqus.
Disqus requires users to be authenticated and it's possible for me to report spammers. Google's reporting mechanism is non-existent/half-baked, to put it nicely.
While Disqus is no guarantee that I'll not get spammed, at least I won’t be forced to moderate every comment like I used to.

To comment, you'll now need to login using Disqus (easy) and you'll notice the comments section now looks a little different.
All old comments, going back to 2012, have been copied over so nothing (other than what I have mentioned above) should have gone missing.



Powered by Blogger.