MOTOTRBO Radio Management Q&A

(Click to enlarge this diagram)


Can I use Radio Management without DDMS?

If you will only be using (USB) Cable; Wi-Fi (radios) and IP Remote Programming (repeaters), yes, you can get away without using DDMS. 
This also applies to Capacity Max networks since presence information is provided by the Trunking Controller.

If you will be using OTAP on a conventional; IP Site Connect or Capacity Plus network, you need DDMS. Basically, DDMS tells the Device programmer whether a radio is turned on and which timeslot/site it is on.

If you are using DDMS you also need to enable ARS in the radios. The ARS radio ID needs to be that of the Control Station or MNIS instance.

Where can I get the DDMS installer? How much do I have to pay? Do you have it?

That depends on where you work. My suggestion would be to check my FAQ page as this question is partially answered there. There is no charge for DDMS. Yes, I do have this software but please don't bother asking me for it.

If I add the OTAP key using CPS, can I program the radio in RM?

No, the CPS sets some hidden flags in the codeplug. When Radio Management communicates with the radio, it checks these flags and if there is any discrepancy, it will not write the radio.

To get the radio into Radio Management correctly, it needs to be read using a cable. If the radio is already there, you only need to read without creating a configuration. This updates Radio Management with the latest information. The OTAP key and any other changes made need to be added to the configuration once read and those changes will need to be written once again to bring that radio into line with what on RM and - potentially - on the other radios.

If a Radio ID is 1234 what would its IP address be?

The Radio CAI IP is made up of the CAI number - usually 12 - plus the Radio ID. 

The easiest way to convert would be to use an online tool like this one from Browserling then change the first octet to 12. So radio 1234 would have an IP address of 12.0.4.210.

There is a harder way, which can be useful when you don't have internet access. If you're interested, let me know and I'll add instructions in the comments.

Can I program a radio on my PC, using the programming cable and a remote Radio Management server?

Yes. you can. You will need to install the Radio Management Client and Device Programmer on your PC. You will also need an IP connection between your PC and the Radio Management server (e.g. VPN).
The Device Programmer needs to be setup to connect to the server.

Anything I missed?

I have a number of videos on YouTube which go into detail on setting up and using MOTOTRBO Radio Management, I would suggest having a look at this playlist.

Also, have a look at some of the other (older) posts here

Please have a look at this guide.
Powered by Blogger.