Your questions answered


I generally don't respond to technical questions received via my contact form. It's very difficult for me to help people via this medium for a number of reasons. Instead, I encourage anyone to rather ask their questions via a relevant-post or on the FAQ page.

I'm going to try something different today: I'm taking a selection of questions received recently, via the contact form and personal email; anonymized the details and have posted them here for the benefit of everyone. I do get some interesting questions via the contact form, it's just not possible to answer them all. 

If I get enough likes and views, I'll make this a regular post.

---

Q: We have enabled privacy on radios used by a customer. Will enabling privacy also encrypt data?

A: Yes, if enabled, both voice and data are encrypted using the same algorithm and shared key.

Q: We have a Capacity Max system. When trying to write the [CMSS] server (# 1562) CMB configuration update failed.

A: As an end customer, if you need help quickly on anything that isn't working as expected, please either contact Motorola Solutions or the Channel partner who sold you the system. I can't help in such instances for a number of reasons.

The error codes themselves don't point to a specific problem. To be sure, I'd make sure that I'm using the latest version of Radio Management  (or at least the version which is known to support the release the CMSS is on).

I'd also think carefully about what was changed between the time you were able to write the server successfully and the time this error first appeared. You are able to see what was changed between these times by looking at the Job View in RM Client.

Q: I cannot not set reference oscillator on a MTR3000, this is not in the tuner menu. I can connect to a SLR8000 with same software and this item is on the menu.

A: That is correct. The MTR3000 doesn't have/need reference oscillator tuning. I think the reason is that the HSO is pre-tuned and aged in the feactory. Also the hardware in the SLR8000 and MTR3000 are very, very different.

Q: I need information or help to configure Cisco routers for linked capacity plus. More specifically the the port forwarding aspects.

A: Sorry, I don't know enough about Cisco to give a definitive answer on that. My suggestion is to get in touch with someone who is a CCNA and ask them about setting up NAT (PNAT). Show them my Multisite Capacity Plus setup videos (especially the first part of day 2 and day 3) and say you want to do the same.

Q: I have three XPR7550 radios in a test environment. One of these is the simplex control station and two are the receiving radios for contact list updates. Things are still not working correctly and the control station will not transmit. [Some data provided]

A: Hard to say but things I would check are:

Are the three radios able to communicate with each other using voice?
Are you able to send a text message between all three?
Do the two radios have ARS enabled?
Do you have DDMS running on the PC to which the control station is attached?
Do all radios have a matching OTAP key?
In the receiving radios' codeplug, make sure that:
-Forward to PC is set to Via USB.
-Admit Criteria is set to Always (for now).
-Data Call Confirmed is Enabled (ticked).

I don't think it is the case but to eliminate it as a potential cause, try temporarily disabling Windows Defender Firewall and trying again.

That's all I can think of for now. If you still need help, have a look at my support page.

Q: Is it correct that R02.21.01.0000 is missing in your software table?

A: I do this blog in my spare/idle time. It is not part of my job and Motorola Solutions certainly doesn't pay me for this. Paid (9 to 5) work and other duties therefore take precedence and sometimes stuff like this has to take a back seat.

The table has however been updated and is up to date as possible. You'll also notice that the formatting has changed somewhat...

Q:  I have an IP Site Connect system with four repeaters. Often one of the peer just disappear from RDAC. When this happens, I cant ping it but I can ping the router which is connected. The data link is up always. Radios are locked on that repeater and voice is not lost from those radios. If the dispatcher makes a group call, the repeater passes the call normally. What could be wrong here?

I've seen that before and found that is was due to NAT not being set up in the Router(s) and that the Repeaters and Router used DHCP. Setting up NAT and giving the repeaters a static IP address ensured that the UDP traffic directed to the repeater(s), arrived correctly every time.

I'm not saying that's the case here but it does sound the same.

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest having a look at what happening on the network using WireShark.

Q: I was wondering if we could discuss potentially organizing some sort of training/Q&A session as I really understood your method of explanation and teaching on your YouTube channel.

A: If you are a Motorola Solutions Reseller based in EMEA, please contact your Channel Account Manager. If anything like that is to be arranged, it has to go the official/proper route. Also, there are others like me within the company so it would be easier if they took this up.

Q: I am trying to install MOTOTRBO Radio Management but the installation fails. What could be wrong?

A: In 99% of all cases, one or more of these three things: 1) make sure Windows has been fully updated (updates downloaded and installed). 2) Make sure to run setup as an Administrator (right-button click, run as administrator) and/or 3) if you're using anything other than Windows Defender, try turning your Antivirus off. If that doesn't work, check my support page to see how to get further help.
Powered by Blogger.