Master cannot see peer?


Q. I am currently setting up an IP site connect networking between a DR3000 as master and a SLR5500 as peer. The connection should work over a VPN network and two Router. I was able to verify the NAT loopback and obviously it works so far. The SLR 5500 also shows a continuous network LED. Now I want to access the master with RDAC. Unfortunately, only the master is displayed, so I assume that the peer has not registered properly. I had this problem before, so I could talk from the master to the peer, but not from one peer to another. My guess is that the peer is not registering correctly with the master. My latency between both repeaters is about 90-100 ms. I'm getting desperate and don't know what else it could be that the peer is not showing up in RDAC as well. Is it possibly due to the latency? Maybe you have a tip and I can benefit from your experience.

A. The SLR5500 and DR3000 should play together well when used in an IP Sie Connect system. 
NAT Loopback is not needed at all, unless whatever else on the network needs it.
Latency is not the cause 100ms is well within what the repeaters can cope with. I would only consider latency if it was exceeding 300ms.
Bandwidth won't cause this specific symptom - though MOTOTRBO only needs a few kpbs of throughput.
  • The first thing I check are the obvois things like cables and repeater configurations. 
  • Next I would suggest trying to pin the master repeater, firstly from the same site then from the site where the peer is located. 
  • You can also try pinging the peer locally.Since there are touters involed, I would suggest pinging these.
  • Two tools I use a lot when trying to find problems on networks are WireShark and iPerf - moreso WireShark. Using the filters you can see what packets (if any) are coming from the peer and master.
  • iPerf will help make sure that NAT is working properly on the Routers.
If I think of anything else to check, I'll stick it in the comments. Unless someone else beats me to it.
Powered by Blogger.