Can I use Starlink?



[Q] I would like to set up a site connect system using three DR3000 repeaters, using Starlink as the backhaul/network link. These will be deployed out in the field. Are you aware of this having been done before, and if so, are there any technical parameters that I need to know about in programming the repeaters? Someone has told me that they will all need static IP addresses, not currently available to me on the Starlink subscriptions that I have. So, maybe a VPN router at each Starlink? Id be very grateful to hear your thoughts or advice. [...]

[A] The DR3000 is no longer produced and was discontinued some time ago. This means that there is no further software updates and no official support for this hardware. having said that, they should work fine for simple IP Site Connect networks.

Only one repeater in the network needs to have a static IP address. However I would still recommend using a VPN not only to protect your radio traffic but also prevent cyberattacks (e.g. DDoS). This also makes IP addressing easy since none of the repeaters will need to contact anything on the internet (i.e. all addresses used will be on our own private network).

I do not have personal experience with Starlink but I'm told that IP Site Connect works okay with it. Where a lot of satellite services fail is the unpredictable latency caused by using different ground stations for connectivity into terrestrial IP networks. My understanding is that Starlink's latency is stable and predictable.

In terms of configuration, there is nothing special other than my suggestion to set the Messaging Delay in the repeater to 90ms. This helps the system cope with packet loss but does increase the voice delay a bit.
Powered by Blogger.